It’s personal …
SGO is an independent international music company specialising in music publishing and rights. Our global partner is BMG one of the world’s Top 5 music and media companies. We have close, active associations with music publishers, record labels, booking agents and other music-related operatives throughout the world. The music we represent is used internationally in all types of media. The artists we work with tour most major music markets each year. Our clients include The Fall, Sir Cliff Richard, Lúnasa (Ireland), hit songwriter Chris Eaton, multiple Grammy nominee Eric Bibb, Vanessa Paradis (France), Bobby Long, Mike Lindup (Level 42), The Young’uns (BBC Folk Awards Best Group 2016 & 2015; Best Recording 2018), Mercury Prize nominee Kit Downes, Calan (Best Band BBC Wales Folk Awards), Blair Dunlop, Perrier award winner Barb Jungr, Moxie (Ireland), Pentangle, Maz O’Connor, Roxanne de Bastion, Mo Kenney (Canada), Big Country and Ralph McTell.
SGO was founded by Stuart Ongley in 1991 and remains privately owned. We demand from ourselves a high level of personal service in both the creative and business dimensions. Alongside this personal attention, we use all available technology – as far as we know we were the first independent music publisher to have our entire catalogue on-line for our international partners to access. Full tour data and scheduling has been shared on-line with our managed clients since the turn of the century. Since 2012 we have been integrated into BMG’s state of the art administrative and creative technology.
The writers and artists we work with tend to be highly talented, self-motivated music makers and our role is to try to support them where needed – to fill the gaps. Every creative is unique and their requirements are unique. As a result, at one time or another, we have worn virtually every music biz hat – apart from that of songwriter or performer … although it’s been close at times!
We love music and regard it as one of the vital ingredients of life for all peoples of this planet. We therefore have the highest respect for those who make the music and regard it as our role and responsibility to support and nurture the talent of our clients as best we can and however we can.
Whatever it takes … 24/7!
1991 – Present SGO Group Owner
(SGO Ltd/SGO Music Publishing Ltd/SGO Music Management Ltd/SGO Records)
1988 – 1991 Peermusic (UK) Ltd Managing Director
(World’s largest independent Music Publisher)
1981 – 1988 Patch Music Ltd Managing Director
(Owned by Sir Cliff Richard – SGO continues to manage this catalogue)
What advice do you have for creators and artists who don’t think they create original work?
Ralph Waldo Emerson: Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous, half possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.
- “Hold Back The Tears” written by Chris Eaton (SO publisher) recorded by Janet Jackson on her debut album.
- “Mistletoe & Wine” wins Ivor Novello award (SO publisher) for No.1 Selling UK Single of 1988.
- “Saviour’s Day” written by Chris Eaton (SO publisher) recorded by Cliff Richard – No.1 UK Christmas single.
- “Everybody’s Free” written by Cox & Swanston (SO publisher and manager) recorded by Rozalla – No. 2 UK single & worldwide hit.
- SGO signs worldwide publishing agreement with legendary punk pioneers The Fall led by Mark E. Smith.
- Chris Eaton’s song “Breath Of Heaven” named Christian Song Of The Year in American Songwriter Magazine (USA) and Billboard (USA).
- Lúnasa (SGO publisher and manager) sign to Green Linnet (USA) in the largest ever deal done by that label in its 25-year history.
- “Everybody’s Free (To Wear Sunscreen)” written by Cox & Swanston – No.1 UK single.
- “The Merry Sisters Of Fate”, Lunasa’s 3rd album, named Album of the Year for 2001 in the American Independent Music Awards.
- “Adore” & “Lift Me Up” written by Chris Eaton, co-published by SGO both win BMI Airplay awards for US radio play.
- Sir Cliff Richard album, “Something’s Goin’ On”, Exec. Producers Stuart Ongley/Valerie Jannsen. #10 UK album. 3 Top 20 UK singles.
- Lúnasa’s “The Kinnitty Sessions” is nominated for Folk Album of the year in the 2004 BBC Folk Awards.
- Chris Eaton receives Dove nomination (USA) for “Child Of Mine” – Song Of The Year
- Erire’s #1 Dance hit with “Dusk Till Dawn”. (co-written with Danny Howells)
- Eric Bibb (SGO publisher and manager) nominated for W.C.Handy Award by The Blues Foundation (USA)
- Eric Bibb’s “Diamond Days” which becomes the biggest selling album of his career. Billboard (USA) Blues charts and Australian Album charts.
- Erire’s #1 Dance hit with “SOS” (co-written with Stonebridge)
- Eric Bibb plays SXSW Music Festival, Jazz World Stage Glastonbury, Main Stage Cambridge.
- SGO signs worldwide administration deal with world’s leading independent music publisher, Bug Music
- Lexie Stobie signs to Decca Records after 18 months of development.
- Bobby Long’s “Let Me Sign” is used in the film ‘Twilight’ (#1 US Box Office)
- Bobby Long signs to ATO Records (USA). Culmination of 12 months of support and development
- Eric Bibb’s new album, ‘Booker’s Guitar’ was #1 selling Blues album in the US week of March 3
- Chris Eaton (JO) cracks Country music with a song on Keith Urban’s new album, ‘Get Closer’. Enters US Album chart at #7.
- BMG buys Bug Music and becomes SGO’s new global music publishing partner
- The RTÉ Concert Orchestra join Lúnasa at the National Concert Hall, Dublin to perform the music of Lúnasa
- Vanessa Paradis’ track “Les Revenants” licensed for Chanel’s worldwide online and in-store campaign.
- Blair Dunlop wins the Horizon category at BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards
- Lúnasa headline at 3 of the world’s major music festivals in a single week Cambridge (UK), Lorient (France), Edmonton (Canada)
- Bobby Long wraps a Pledge campaign with sufficient funds to record and market his new album ‘Ode To Thinking’.
- Chris Eaton’s “1914 – The Carol of Christmas” is chosen as the Christmas single to support the UK’s 3 main armed forces charities.
- The Young’uns are named Best Group at 2015 BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards
- Blair Dunlop and The Young’uns win Spiral Earth Awards for Vocals and Live Act respectively
- Josienne Clarke and Ben Walker win Best Duo BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards
- Bobby Long signs to Compass Records (USA) and releases ‘Ode To Thinking’ supported by a 50 date tour across USA and Europe.
- The Young’uns are named Best Group at 2016 BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards. The first time an act has won this award on successive years.
- Pentangle‘s ‘Finale’ is released on Topic Records. Recordings taken from the final tour of the original line-up of this unique and legendary band – Terry Cox, Bert Jansch, Jacqui McShee, John Renbourn and Danny Thompson. Project supervision by Stuart Ongley with Paul Crockford and David Suff.
- Josienne Clarke and Ben Walker sign to Rough Trade.
- Moxie and their music star in the new Irish dance and music spectacular ProdiJIG: The Revolution opening with a 5 week run at Cork Opera House.
- Blair Dunlop makes his debut Glastonbury Festival appearance and sees both singles from his latest album ‘Gilded’ playlisted on BBC Radio 2, the UK’s #1 station.
- Chris Eaton’s “Breath of Heaven” features in ‘The Star’ an animation using the voices of Mariah Carey, Kelly Clarkson and Oprah Winfrey.
- Eric Bibb receives his 2nd Grammy nomination, this time in the Best Traditional Blues Album category for ‘Migration Blues’.
- The Young’uns appear on the Acoustic Stage at Glastonbury Festival 2017.
- Cliff Richard’s million seller, “Mistletoe & Wine” gets the ‘Mrs Brown’s Boys’ treatment on BBC 1 Christmas Day broadcast.
- The Young’uns album ‘Strangers’ wins Best Recording at 2018 BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards.
- “Devil Woman” (Christine Holmes/Terry Britten) features on the soundtrack of 2018 Oscar winning film, ‘I, Tonya’ starring Margot Robbie.
- Chris Eaton’s “Breath of Heaven” on the soundtrack of the US Box Office hit film, ‘I Can Only Imagine’.
- Lúnasa release ‘Cas’ their 8th studio album and their first with vocals – Natalie Merchant, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Eric Bibb and Tim O’Brien guest.
- The Zombies are inducted into The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- Chris Eaton has 3 songs including the single “Reborn” on Cliff Richard’s album, ‘Rise Up’
- “Ocean Deep” (Jon Sweet/Rod Trott) features in the major Philippines movie, ‘Last Fool Show’ sung by Filipino superstar Juris.
- Pentangle’s “Travelling’ Song” in the hit US TV series Lodge 49.
- Calan’s “Kan” used for closing titles of BBC TV series Pitching In.
- The Fall’s “Hey Student” in the hit German TV series Polizeiruf 110.
- Cliff Richard’s “Mistletoe & Wine” in the Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson movie Fighting With My Family.